Entrepreneurship for All, Inc. (EforAll) is seeking an experienced National Chief Development Officer (CDO) to implement and lead the strategic expansion of a creative and entrepreneurial advancement program that emphasizes and advances EforAll’s mission, impact, and growth. This is a unique opportunity to join EforAll at an inflection point in its history and to work with a committed, passionate, and talented leadership team to build on the organization’s success and help propel it to new levels of accomplishment.
The CDO will join an organization that has achieved significant success in its first ten years of operation, having expanded to 13 separate locations in 5 states and served more than 1,000 entrepreneurs. EforAll’s impact is well-documented through rich internal and external research. Those performance metrics, along with the organization’s mission and our thirst for growth, are what inspire donors. Reporting to the CEO and Board of Trustees, the CDO will play a key role in fulfilling EforAll’s mission and strategic goals.
The CDO will build from EforAll’s fundraising success, which has been driven by a small number of very dedicated donors and build a much broader base of support from new high net worth and institutional philanthropic investors.
The CDO will lead by example, working closely with the CEO and Board Chair to unlock six, seven, and eight figure donations that will enable EforAll to achieve its strategic goals. The CDO will be comfortable personally handling relationships with key EforAll individual funders, many of whom come from entrepreneurial backgrounds. The CDO will also be comfortable approaching and developing strong and fruitful relationships with leaders of national foundations and corporations.
In addition to personally handling EforAll’s largest donors, the CDO will build out a team within a results-focused environment that includes setting clear goals, providing regular feedback, and offering transparent accountability. The CDO’s team will cultivate multifaceted relationships that leverage impact, reach, and relevance. The CDO will work with EforAll’s current and former Board members and other supporters of the organization to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward influential and transformational donors with the goal of creating a broader donor base and community.
The CDO will work closely with the EforAll’s community expansion team, which is charged with raising funding commitments to launch EforAll’s programming in new communities across the country. The CDO will work directly with the head of community expansion to identify and recruit individual “champions” who take the lead in bringing EforAll to new communities, and those champions are important to EforAll locally and nationally as a result – and so the CDO will need to be integrally involved with these efforts to ensure the strongest possible relationship between the champions and EforAll.
The CDO will take the lead in creating and implementing a national corporate partnership program to attract multi-million dollar commitments of financial resources and employee engagement in support of EforAll nationally and multiple markets across the US. The CDO will build a team of advancement specialists compatible with the size of the corporate opportunity.
In addition, many corporate funders give both nationally and locally, and so the CDO will need to work closely with EforAll’s local fundraising teams to ensure corporations are well served in all regards.
Likewise, the CDO will lead the development of million-dollar relationships with national foundations, building a team to support and sustain this source of support far into the future.
The CDO will set the strategic fundraising direction of the organization, including working with EforAll’s marketing department on messaging, website development, materials, and social media. The CDO will cultivate relationships with (but not lead) EforAll’s program teams in the field, who execute localized fundraising efforts in addition to running the local programming. These relationships will be important as national level funders frequently come out of local program support. The CDO will ensure there is consistency and high quality in messaging and advancement techniques across the organization.
Collaborating with the Finance team, the CDO will oversee the fundraising budget and manage revenue to ensure that operating budget objectives and strategic goals are met. This leader will track multi-year revenue and fundraising trends and use the information to predict future opportunities for expansion and diversification.
The National Chief Development Officer of EforAll will possess the following attributes and competencies:
A Passion for the Mission:
- The CDO will bring a personal passion and commitment to the EforAll mission of accelerating social and economic impact in communities nationwide through inclusive entrepreneurship.
- The CDO will have the capacity to understand and appreciate organizational strategies and be able to share this knowledge (the narrative) with potential donors with conviction.
- The CDO will embrace EforAll’s culture, while continually innovating to help expand its brand and reach.
- The CDO will embrace and further EforAll’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion regarding culture, communication, and team building.
- The CDO will coordinate advancement efforts with public education and communications to inform audiences about the work of EforAll and broaden the base of support.
- The CDO will be an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values and is someone who can be trusted without reservation.
An Expert in Fundraising Leadership & Advancement Operations:
- The CDO will be an experienced strategic leader with a measurable track record of proven success especially in major gifts and in rapidly growing a fundraising operation.
- The CDO will have demonstrated expertise with a wide range of fundraising channels with particular focus on individual giving, major donors, corporations, and foundations.
- The CDO will have a strong data and analysis orientation and a proven ability to use metrics to drive advancement decisions and achieve strategic objectives.
- The CDO will have campaign experience and an ability to adopt an entrepreneurial approach to expanding and deepening new and existing donor support.
- The CDO will have a demonstrated record of implementing fundraising initiatives, including identification, cultivation, and stewardship and working in close partnership with senior leadership and Boards of Trustees to collaboratively achieve fundraising goals.
- The CDO will work with the CEO and Board Chair to build a fundraising sub-committee to the Board.
- The CDO will responsibly provide accountable and strategic leadership, direction, and performance management to the high-performing advancement team. This will include effective communication, coaching, mentoring, and helping staff maximize their potential for success, setting performance targets aligned with the strategy and annual operating objectives.
- Key to the success of this role will be the CDO’s ability to build a strong team that will take EforAll to the next level of fundraising success.
A Relationship Builder, Closer, and Collaborator:
- The CDO will bring a personal passion and commitment to the EforAll mission of accelerating The CDO will be highly skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships and being a successful solicitor and closer. The CDO will be a confident and articulate communicator who excels at defining and communicating the systems and data around strategy and outreach in advancement.
- With the ability to work fluidly across all levels, the CDO will be able to build collaboration and buy-in and generate support from internal and external stakeholders.
- The CDO will establish rapport and open communication with all constituents and successfully promote EforAll’s mission and objectives.
- Collaborating closely with the CEO and CMO, the CDO will implement a comprehensive and multifaceted donor-communication and stewardship strategy ensuring donor engagement and satisfaction.
A Results-Oriented Leader with Strong Execution Skills:
- The CDO will have a proven record of converting strategy into effective execution working in a fast-paced environment.
- The CDO will exhibit intellectual curiosity, including the ability to listen to and learn from multiple voices.
- The CDO will have strong analytical skills and the ability to think creatively and collaboratively about the organization’s advancement goals while remaining focused on details and follow through.
- The CDO will be an assertive and responsive leader.
- The CDO will be a builder who will work with the CEO to set advancement priorities decisively, delegate responsibilities, assure accountability, and allocate resources to ensure results.
- The CDO will build, develop, and motivate a stellar advancement team to creatively envision innovative ways of engaging potential stakeholders.
In addition, a successful Chief Development Officer will possess the following but not limited to qualifications, competencies, and characteristics:
Executive Abilities: Outstanding and proven abilities involving planning; communicating; building and managing talent in a competitive environment; and executing to achieve goals.
Fundraising: Ideally, 10 or more years of progressive responsibility in an advancement context, including at least five years’ experience managing fundraising programs and fundraising staff. Experience in campaign planning and execution.
Complexity: Demonstrated experience working in complex institutional settings; managing change; and working across divisions within an organization. An ability to quickly engender respect in a national organization with many fundraisers and other colleagues at local levels in diverse geographic markets.
Building: Track record of accomplishment having built and led successful, sustainable national advancement programs.
Best Practices in Philanthropy: Knowledge of the national philanthropic communities and best practices in major gift philanthropy and comfortable as a front-line fundraiser; proven record of accomplishment of cultivating, soliciting and closing major gifts.
Strategic: Ability to see the “big picture,” think strategically, and translate strategy into targeted goals and actions with demonstrated success in creating and expanding a culture of transformational philanthropy.
Governance: Successful board and committee engagement experience. Considerable experience working with Boards and sub-committees supporting volunteers (including advancement volunteers, board members, and others) including but not limited to a fundraising context.
Highly Relational: Experience with all phases of the relationship building and fundraising process, including experience in soliciting and stewarding major donors for gifts in the six, seven and eight figure range.
Organized and Multi-tasking: Outstanding organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple priorities and to consistently meet timelines and budget expectations. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills including written and oral presentations.
Style: A leadership style that inspires confidence and encourages excellence, having gravitas, and an engaging approachable demeanor.
Multi-dimensional/cross-cultural Communications: A polished communicator; able to craft and articulate nuanced, sophisticated cases for support to diverse, global audiences and constituents.
Enterprising: A creative, entrepreneurial spirit, with high energy, enthusiasm and a strong work ethic.
Alignment: A genuine interest in EforAll’s unique mission.
Remote (New York, Chicago or Washington DC Preferred)
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree in a related field is preferred.
- EforAll offers its employees a competitive salary and excellent benefits including paid time off, medical and dental insurance, and retirement plan options.
Send your resume and cover letter to EforAll-CDO@kornferry.com or apply below.
EforAll provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.